Subject: Re: Freeze again.
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/1998 17:38:26
> And here I thought it was just strange hardware setup I had.  I'v pretty
> much seen this exact thing, except worse.  Everytime I tried to move to
> 1.3, filesystems started to get messed up.  On one particular occasion, a
> filesystem was damaged so bad that fsck couldn't fix it and it had to be
> newfs'ed and restored from tape.
>
> The problem seemed to be related to swapping.  The machine in question has
> 3 swap partitions and 2 SCSI controllers.  There was a filesystem messed
> up on every disk that had a swap partition on it.

Hmm.  I mentioned that the root partition of my IDE disk was corrupted
somehow even though I hadn't been using it for several weeks.  That's
true - but I DID configure swap on the IDE disk by mistake at first.
It is possible that swapping to the IDE disk mangled the root partition,
then.  I now swap to the SCSI disk.. which I guess means that I will
lose my real root soon.. maybe.. yikes..  Wasn't someone talking about
something like this around the time when 1.3 was released?

BTW, I did "make build" today without problems, so the system is kind of
stable - until it decides to freeze.  I will play with the debugger if
(when) the system freezes again.

  -jm