Subject: Goofy question regarding linking..
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Mitchell <skeezix@skeleton.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/1998 19:15:47
	I'm involved in a crossplatform development effort; the other
platforms are (gasp) DOS and Win32. In order to keep things as fast as
possible, we've got assembly code in the DOS/Win32 ports, and C
equivalents in the portable/Unix ports. We use "nasm" (Netwide Assembler)
for the assembly. I'd like to use the assembly code under NetBSD as well
(ie: intel on all platforms so far), and use the portable code for Solaris
and whatnot.

	"nasm" is source available and compiles out of the box under

freebase-tofu {407} uname -a
NetBSD freebase-tofu.interlog.com 1.3_BETA NetBSD 1.3_BETA
(v13pccons.conf) #0: Mon Dec 22 10:39:06 EST 1997
skeezix@freebase-tofu.interlog.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/v13pccons.conf
i386

	and is supposed to work fine under Linux, etc. Anyway, I have nasm
compiling the assembly modules and outputting COFF format object files (as
this is the format used by gcc, no?). The linker hates the assembled
output, however:

ld: mz80.o: malformed input file (not rel or archive)

	Any ideas how I would be able to use nasm to produce object files
gcc/ld would accept?

		Jeff

	(Because we can always use more fast games under Unix, and with
X11 in the picture, we need all the help we can get.... :)