Subject: 1.3 sysinst problem on system with de ethernet
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/1998 15:43:22
I just tried using the NetBSD 1.3 install disk on a P5 that has a
NetGear 100Mbit ethernet card which uses the de driver. When sysinst
tries to configure the network, it says that it failed (after an
unbearably long wait). After exiting from sysinst, I see that the
ethernet is still configured, so I try a ping - it fails.

Then I ifconfig the ethernet by hand - ping works just fine!

When I look at the difference in the ifconfig de0 output between
"working" and "not working", I see that the not working config has the
flag "OACTIVE" set, while the working one does.

What is sysinst doing that causes this flag to be set, and why? It's a
real bummer I have to do the install by hand... (well, actually I
usually install by mounting all the fs'es of an existing machine and
tarring an image of the running machine over, but I figured I should
give sysinst a try before I recommend it to friends who don't have an
office with over a dozen NetBSD systems running)