Subject: Network interface 'device timeout's with 1.3.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/1998 23:45:59
Hi there,

I've just started installing 1.3 on a AMD 586 with a WD8013WC ethernet
card, ASUS NCR SCSI card and a no-name ET4000 video card.  Configuring
the ethernet card in single user mode (either by hand or with sysinst)
works fine, but if I go to multi-user mode I just get "we0: device
timeout" messages on the console.  Selecting either media type doesn't
work either.  From here, I have to power cycle the machine before I can
get a single user mode ifconfig to work again.  I also tried an old
NE2000 (the real thing!) - that got configured as ne1, and had the same
results (ie, "ne1: device timeout")...

The only thing I found in the archives recommends removing other drivers
with the same interrupt configuration - I've tried this with no success.

The WD ethernet card used to work fine under 1.2 (but I think it was an
ed1 or ed2 then).

Any ideas?

Simon (this PC stuff ain't easy!).