Subject: Re: APM bugs!
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet@graffiti.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1997 00:02:23
>There seems to be some serious problems with (Advanced Power Management)
>APM included in NetBSD 1.3.  Basically, after a computer wakes up from
>sleep mode, any attempts to use the PCMCIA ethernet or PPP from a PCMCIA
>modem card will cause the OS to completely crash.  (It freezes up
>completely, interrupts and all, and must be rebooted.)  Anyways a simple
>"ifconfig ep0 down" prior to sleep, and "ifconfig ep0 up" after sleep
>added to the APM will allow one to use the PCMCIA ethernet after sleep
>mode without any troubles.  However, I can't seem to find any way to use
>PPP on the modem card after sleep mode without crashing the OS.  Does
>anyone have any ideas?  (BTW, "ifconfig ppp0 down" will not prevent a
>crash after sleep mode.)  Perhaps there is some way to shut down the
>modem's TTY, or the PCMCIA card prior to sleeping?

the problem is not with ppp0, but with tty00.  simple (interim) fix:
pull the card out after "waking up", and then pop it back in.  under
freebsd, if i "go to sleep" without downing my network interface, the
same thing happens.  pulling card and popping it back in works fine
for me.

>PS. I am running NetBSD 1.3 on a Digital HiNote Ultra II laptop, with
>	a 3Com 3C589D ethernet & a IBM 28.8Kbps International Data/Fax
>	Modem PCMCIA cards.

just about the same as me, but i'm using a usr 33.6 card.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet