Subject: 1.3_BETA upgrade: fsck/mount problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/1997 11:24:39
I am trying to upgrade a 1.3_ALPHA system to the BETA snapshot of Dec 16.
The upgrade script fails when  'chroot /mnt fsck -f -p'  finds errors

/dev/wd0a: INCORRECT  BLOCK COUNT I=3984 (2128 should be 208) (CORRECTED)
/dev/wd0a: FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK (SALVAGED)
/dev/wd0a: BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS (SALVAGED)
/dev/wd0a: SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD (SALVAGED)

and segfaults when checking the root partition. I can avoid the problem by
adding a 'sync' command to the upgrade script after it copies the new fsck
to /mnt/sbin, right before remounting / ro.

When running the same sequence of commands 'upgrade' runs by hand the
problem does not occur - looks like the typing time is enough to flush all dirty
blocks to disk before root is re-mounted ro.

Is the a generic problem, ie should mount sync the fs before re-mounting it
ro?

--
Andreas Wrede              Planix, Inc.
andreas@planix.com         Networking, System Administration, Consulting