Subject: Re: linux emulation
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/1997 00:54:11
On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 06:15:47PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> can't build-contrib without installing xmkmf from xc first.) All that
> is available is a linux binary from S.u.S.E Gmbh. I got reasonably
> far, but just now
>
> linux_machdepioctl: invalid ioctl 00005603
>
> and
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: VT_SETMODE VT_PROCESS failed

First of all, you need pcvt compiled in to the kernel if you want
to try to pull off this kind of low-level screen stuff. The emulation
code does enough to run, for example, Linux svgalib games most of the
time. But it does indeed lack 0x5603, which is VT_GETSTATE.

If you do have pcvt compiled in, I can send you a patch that you could
try to make at least VT_GETSTATE work.

But.. I'n not sure what else a Linux xserver might try to do that
could be a problem.

- Frank