Subject: linux emulation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/1997 18:15:47
A friend with a new PII 300 was having serious problems with Redhat
Linux - typing sync would hang the machine, so as I know nothing of
linux, I popped NetBSD on trying out the new sysinst - worked a dream
and certainly didn't trash the other 2 partitions on the disk. (Had
the calculator ready just in case ;) Things are much happier now, but
unfortunately he has a STB Velocity 128 3D graphics card which isn't
supported by XFree86 - (BTW supping xsrc is great. Maybe a World
option could be added to its Makefile which does a make build-xc,
install-xc, build-contrib, install-contrib, in that order, as you
can't build-contrib without installing xmkmf from xc first.) All that
is available is a linux binary from S.u.S.E Gmbh. I got reasonably
far, but just now

linux_machdepioctl: invalid ioctl 00005603

and

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: VT_SETMODE VT_PROCESS failed

One bit I am suspicious of is that I just linked /emul/linux/dev/ttyN
to /dev/ttyvN for N=0 to 7 - is that the right idea? In fact it is
xinit which failed, and that was the ordinary netbsd one. I am getting
confused between what needs to go under /emul/linux, and what is being
run "properly"...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Patrick