Subject: Re: Need help with EXTMEM_SIZE option
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/1997 10:10:04
On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Excerpts from netbsd: 6-Dec-97 Need help with EXTMEM_SIZE .. Brian
> Stark@siemens-psc. (2690*)
>
> > It also says that
> > the constant NKPDE needs to be increased. The FAQ recommends 16, so I
> > increased the default value of 12 to 16.
>
> 16 is still not much. Try 31 (the maximum for 1.2).

OK. I will try this. Please excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me what
"NKPDE" stands for, what why this constant should be increased for systems
with larger memory sizes?

> NetBSD-current (and the upcoming 1.3) have some
> improvements wrt large memory. (improved detection,
> larger kernel address space)
> I recommend an upgrade.

Yes, I do plan on upgrading, when 1.3 is released. I grabbed a copy of the
1.3 Beta boot floppy, and when I boot up on that, it does detect all of
the memory.

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc. |          : bstark@empros.com      |
| Power Transmission & Distribution |                                   |
| 7225 Northland Drive              | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Brooklyn Park, MN 55428   USA     | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |