Subject: Intel EtherExpress adapters
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/1997 11:12:39
Hi Folks,
	I recently purchased a "Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 TX PCI model B
Lan Adapter." From the dscription it looked like a auto switching 10/100 MBit
Ethernet card. It is recognized as a
	"/netbsd: ie0: unknown AT&T board type code 15"

under NetBSD 1.2, but it won't configure with ifconfig:

	% ifconfig ie0 192.156.218.55 inet up
	ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured

I'm assuming it's just not supported under 1.2 (ie didn't seem like the
correct driver for the job).

However I see that
	"Intel EtherExpress 100 Fast Ethernet adapters"

are supported under the INSTALL document for NetBSD 1.3b.

Does this description match the card I bought?  If someone can describe
a chip set number I need to check to confirm, that'd be great.  I'd like
to confirm this before I switch over to 1.3

---

If you have the the stomach for it, I'm also having problems setting
up this adapter under windows95.  I am only a novice with windows95.

I can do the basic install using the IntelPro Setup.  Ran all the tests,
everything appears cool.

When I try to install the adapter using the Control Panel, I add the device,
then windows95 asks for the Windows95 install CD-ROM. I supply it, but
many of the requested files are not found: many of them appear TCP/IP
network related: icmp.dll, ftp.exe, etc.  I cannot find these files on
the windows95 CD-ROM, or on the Intel install disk (I've looked using
find).  Is there another network install disk I need to track down?  I
also noted that my windows95 CD doesn't have IE on it, not that I'd use
it, but does this identify it as some subset of what I need to do a
windows95 installation w/ network?

I have dial-up working on this same machine no problem.

	Thanks for any help or comments on these problems.

	- Scott Presnell (srp@zgi.com)