Subject: dma
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/1997 10:29:00
I configure my kernel with 5k buffers and then 3k buffers then gave
up and used the default.  The problem was that dma was not operational
for the floppy or sound.  I know that Jason is working on this.  I tend
to pay attention to the boot messages so it was easy for me to see this
mistake/misfeature.  If I hadn't I'd have puzzled at why the floppy was
not working.

I'd like to suggest that (for 1.3) a check be made in the kernel and iff
the sizes are such that dma can not work, I'd either have the kernel not
build or panic.  We could have a option NODMA that if set would not
provide these warnings.  This way people would not accidentally get
confused.