Subject: Re: sysinst report [was: 1.3Beta]
To: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1997 23:27:42
>I've never see this happen.  Typically, when you give the controller
>what it does not like it wedges and you need to reboot.  I didn't
>have the MBR written to the wrong place (although, I guess it might have
>been).  I had the MBR (at 0) zeroed.
>
>I do remember now that I was asked during my installation if I wanted
>to erase the disk.  I said yes.  If this blew away my MBR, yikes!

So, I guess you have seen that happen, eh? :-)  This is what I'm
talking about.  It means you gave a different partition offset for
your NetBSD partition in the MS-DOS partition table than you did
in disklabel.

>I know that in 1.2 installations I've occasionally been asked that
>question and I thought it was stupid to ask but benign.

Now, the case where this happened a few weeks ago, I didn't use sysinst;
I guess that snapshot didn't support it.  I used the old install procedure,
so I don't know if sysinst handles this better (from what Jonathan said,
I gather that it does).

--Ken