Subject: Re: Lab machines - some questions
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1997 13:18:54
> Why even _spawn_ a reboot command?  Just call reboot(2).

reboot(8) does the SIGTERM/SIGHUP/SIGKILL progression, minimizing the damage
from a reboot.

> If they run Winsnooze95, they probably don't know what Ctrl-Alt-Del is
> supposed to do.  :)

It brings up the Close Program dialog box, and there's a narrow but common
band of system hosage wherein you can't nuke wedged programs with mouse-clicks
but you can with the Close Program box.  Common enough that I'd think nearly
everyone who suffers with W95 routinely would have eventually been told about
it. ;-)  (The "Introducing Microsoft Windows95" book that comes with new
systems studiously avoids sharing this dirty little secret, though.)  The
Close Program dialog box also has a shutdown option, for old DOS users who
can't imagine any other way to shut down a system (other than the power switch,
which W95 strictly forbids).

(And whoever decided that the most mnemonic place to put the usual shutdown
mechanism was under a button labelled "Start" ought to be shot...)