Subject: Re: Lab machines - some questions
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@atlas.union.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/1997 20:39:22
On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

> Hm.   I actually like the idea of Control/ALT/DEL sending init a
> signal better than I like the idea of it just doing an immediate
> reboot, now that you mention it.
>
> The only fly in the ointment, IMHO, is that this won't get you out of
> a hang - if init can't run, it can't reboot.   Maybe if there's
> already a SIGUSR1 posted to init, it should call cpu_reboot after all.

That's true, however, if you can hit CTL-ALT-DEL, it's reasonable to
assume you have console access to the machine and can do one of the
following:

1. Login and issue a reboot command.
2. Hit the reset button.
3. Power off the machine.

The idea of CTL-ALT-DEL sending a signal to init is attractive and since
everyone should be implementing some kind of physical security policy for
critial systems, some Joe Random User walking up and hitting the sequence
shouldn't be a problem.

--
Christofer C. Bell                      Acting Systems Administrator
Union Computing Services                email: cbell@ukans.edu