Subject: Re: Xi FreeBSD X server, NetBSD failure
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/1997 11:16:23
On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:

: Now I've upgraded my laptop from FreeBSD-2.2.2-PAO to NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA
: with a source base of mid-november, and the FreeBSD X server bombs out
: on an unimplemented system call, number 279, as shown below in the
: system call trace.  I've looked in the 2.2.2 and 3.0 FreeBSD sources and
: oddly enough, system call number 279 isn't used there either (!).

It's not a FreeBSD system call; it's the fact that you don't have the
FreeBSD shared libraries in /emul/freebsd/usr/lib/lib*.so.*, and the FreeBSD
dynamic linker in /emul/freebsd/usr/libexec/ld.so ... The symptom of this
problem (unimplemented system call #279) is vague, but it isn't easy to work
around given the technical cause of the problem.

Read the compat_freebsd(8) manual page; it describes how to correctly run
FreeBSD binaries on NetBSD.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== Vierling's Axiom: The revolution won't be televised; it will be posted.