Subject: Re: PCMCIA 3C589B on 1.3 alpha
To: Marc Baudoin <Marc.Baudoin@solsoft.com>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/1997 11:47:35
On Nov 21, Marc Baudoin wrote
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried a 1.3 alpha boot disk from the beginning of the
> week on my laptop.  Now the PCMCIA Ethernet card (3Com 3C589B)
> and the modem are detected OK in the boot phase.  I then log in
> and try to configure the network:
>
> ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1
> ifconfig ep1 my-ip-address netmask my-netmask
> ifconfig ep1 media utp (because I use a RJ 45 cable)
>
> I can ping 127.0.0.1 and my own IP adress OK but I can't ping any
> other host on my local network.  Did I forget something?

Ok, Marc just had the good idea: the irq used (irq 9) was not available for the
PCMCIA board (because used by the internal sound chip). I build him a boot
floppy with "options PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK 0xf9ff" and all work fine.
His laptop is a Sager NP9600.

Should we change the default PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK to disable irq 9 too ?
If we disable every IRQ which is not available on a particular notebook,
we may end up with no irq left :(