Subject: Re: lpt0: system crash (NetBSD-1.3-ALPHA)
To: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@serv1.eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/26/1997 09:56:50
> My system running a GENERIC 1.3ALPHA kernel crashs whenever I try to
> write to /dev/lpt0. I get a black screen and the system boots.
>
> This behaviour was introduced between Nov 1. and Nov 15.
>
> Is there anyone else with this problem?

The last set of changes to the lpt driver was on October 14.  While I
haven't looked at them, and can't say that they're all correct, they
seem as if they should have been pretty straightforward.

It may be worth noting that your symptoms are exactly the same as
those reported at various times over the last ... 18 or 20 months.
There has been some discussion of them on the mailing lists, and i
seem to recall that PR 2558 was put forth as a workaround for similar
symptoms.  As far as I know, the problem has never been debugged (or
even found 8-).

chris