Subject: 128+ megs of ram ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michiel Meijer <M.Meijer@caiw.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/25/1997 13:24:01
Hello,

Since a few weeks now, i've been installing a pentium 200 mhz with 256Mb
ram as a proxyserver. Initially the server could only recognise 64 Mb of
ram. After setting the Extended Mmeory manually to 256Mb, the 256Mb seemed
to be recognized, but now the kernel turned out to be instable. After
reading docs, and plowing through the sources, I picked up the idea
somewhere to increase the value of NKPDE. More reading showed it could be
maximally enlarged to 31 (APTDI-PTDI) So i did, still no go, kernel
remainden unstable. A quick calculation though showed that 31 PDE's could
maximally map 124 Mb of memory. This indeed did the trick, the kernel is
now running stable with 124 Mb of memory. However i would like to get at
least the other 128MB of mem working, and is possible even 256 aditional
MegaButes (eg 512 in total). I've been tinkering with lowering the value of
PTDI as to get more room for the KPTDI's. This works as long as i remain in
single user mode. Actually for someone used programming on 68K machines,
i've quite tried all i can think of on an i386. So my question is wether
there is someone out there willing to lend me a helping hand..

	Sincerely Yours,
		Michiel Meijer (Sys. Adm.)