Subject: Re: floppy controller tape devices?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/23/1997 16:01:25
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:

> People buy floppy controller based tape drives.  People buy parallel port
> ZIP drives.  People buy IRQless proprietary scanner devices.  People buy
> no-name "clone" sound cards.  People often don't know the difference in
> quality until after the fact, and often don't have the money to invest in
> the higher quality equipment.

I had a floppy tape drive for a few weeks, and even had it working
on (oddly enough) NetBSD 0.9.  It was slow, it was noisy, and it was
small.

I won't go out and buy a new one to write a driver for, but if someone
wants to send me a spare drive, I might be able to throw something
together.  I have a few friends who are bugging me for exactly the same
thing, but they won't switch from Linux until it is there, and they use
their tape drives.

--Michael