Subject: Re: FYI: FreeBSD Pentium Bug fix (proposed)
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/15/1997 13:53:06
Matt Thomas said:
> >Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:12:15 -0600
> >From: Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
> >To: hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> >Subject: FreeBSD Pentium Bug fix (proposed)
> >Sender: owner-freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> >Alright, I've been watching the debate about the LOCK CMPXCHG8 bug,
> >and decided to take a crack at it.  While I believe that for the most
> >case, this is probably just a tempest in a teapot, for some, it probably
> >represents a serious DOS that should be addressed.

Note that FreeBSD hasn't decided on a solution yet, and frankly I am not
personally involved other than as a reviewer.  I think that jlemon's proposal
is very interesting, but requires a "little" work (even he alludes to it)
before inclusion into the code base.

It is just as likely that we'll apply the "canonical" fix as this "innovative"
fix at this time.  Right now, it appears that the "innovative" fix has some
flaws.  Unfortunately, we will likely have to use the "canonical" fix.  I think
that everyone thinks that the "canonical" fix is ugly, and we just wanted to try
a few more potential alternatives before making the change.  At least all of
us (free/commercial OS developers) will likely use similar workarounds!!! :-).

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org