Subject: Re: serial console problem
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/1997 10:40:22
On Fri, Nov 07, 1997 at 07:08:59PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> Excerpts from netbsd: 7-Nov-97 serial console problem Kevin
> Sullivan@psc.edu (955*)
>
> > whenever I turn off the terminal (which
> > is on the console serial port) the machine hangs.  The machine starts up
> > again when the terminal is turned back on (though sometimes it has been
> > thrown into ddb).
>
> Perhaps the power-off causes a line break condition,
> which will invoke DDB?
> For the case without DDB, I don't have an idea.

A handshaking problem perhaps?  Maybe the CTS input of the PC goes inactive
when the terminal is powered off which prevents any console messages
being printed to the serial port.  I had this problem on Sparc and had to
wire the CTS signal so that it's always active.

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---