Subject: Re: README: "ed" driver gone, new "ec" and "we" drivers!
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/1997 22:38:22
> These have been pretty thoroughly tested, and use a machine-independent
> chip back-end; I don't anticipate any problems.  But, if you do encounter
> problems, please send a bug report with send-pr(1) ASAP!

Not sure if this is worth a PR yet, since it could be flaky hardware...
the card was acting kind of strangely a few months ago.

I've got an 8-bit Etherlink II (picked it up for $1 at a computer flea
market thing :) The 3c503 diagnostics program says the card is fine, and I
was using it under DOS in another machine without any problems. I had the
card configured at port 0x330, mem 0xd8000 and had the following line in
my kernel config:
ec0     at isa? port 0x330 iomem 0xd8000 irq 5  # 3Com 3c503 Ethernet

NetBSD couldn't find the card though... the probe failed at:
        /*
         * Verify that the kernel configured I/O address matches the
         * board configured I/O address.
         *
         * This is really only useful to see if something that looks like
         * the board is there; after all, we're already talking to it at
         * this point.
         */
        x = bus_space_read_1(asict, asich, ELINK2_BCFR);
        if (x == 0 || (x & (x - 1)) != 0)
                goto out;

(It fails because x is 0)

So I changed the card and config line to port 0x250, recompiled a new
kernel with the changed setting, and now I get:

ec0 at isa0 port 0x250-0x25f iomem 0xd8000-0xd9fff irq 5
ec0: 3Com 3c503 Ethernet (8-bit)
ec0: Ethernet address 02:60:8c:6b:15:7a
ec0: failed to clear shared memory at offset 0x0
ec0: memory test failed

I've used this card in NetBSD before, but in another machine... this is
the first time I've used the card in this machine, and I can't easily test
it in DOS 'cuz my video card's busted.

So, any ideas? I don't really want to use the card, since I've got a nicer
NE2000 clone in the machine already, but I wanted to try out the ec
driver...

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++