Subject: Re: navigator-v403b8-export.x86-bsdi-bsd2 SIGSEGV on applet
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/1997 19:10:17

> I am actually running precisely the binary you are having trouble with
> (so did I in the beginning, for those who remember my silly
> ktraces). The applet crashing business was solved by setting the
>
> CLASSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar

Just because I run csh and can (theoretically) use the 3.0 version, here
are the entries from my '/etc/csh.cshrc' file.

	setenv NS_HOME /usr/local/netscape
	setenv MOZILLA_HOME /usr/local/netscape
	setenv CLASSPATH /usr/local/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar

> options         COMPAT_NOMID    # compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD 0.8,
> options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD

I included these options in the kernel config file as well.  For the
first time, I can now run the following URL and have it actually DO
something (on any machine with any browser):

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/RealTime/Jtrack/Spacecraft.html

It's a good(ish) test.  It works on about half the IE machines at work.

It reports an inability to allocate the default background, but I think
that's a local problem rather than a problem with the applet.

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom