Subject: 1.3_ALPHA/i386 snap-971030 and PCMCIA: ifconfig hangs.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/1997 23:47:46
Ok,

I grabbed the boot floppy image from Andrew Gillham's 971030 snapshot
and booted it on my Toshiba T2130CT.

Everything probed ok and all looked totally cool until I tried to
ifconfig ep1 (3C589).  I got:

pcmcia0: card irq 5

and then she hangs - reset button time.  I repeated the test several
times, with various args to ifconfig - same result everytime. I even
left it like that while I went out for several hours.

The relevent stuff from the probe messgaes is below:

pcic0 ar isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff: using irq 3
pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B
pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
ep1 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f: 3Com 3C589 Ethernet
ep1: MAC address 00:a0:af:df:7c:ba
ep1: 8KB byte-wide FIFO, (undefined) Rx:Tx split, utp/aui/bnc (default bnc)

Now I've not yet downloaded sources which include the PCMCIA stuff so
can't investigate (yet), but I recall when I was getting Stefan Grefen's
pcmcia stuff working with 1.1A that there was a neat "feature" of this
machine that caused the code to not realize that the card had indeed
been setup ok.

Has anyone else tried this kernel with the above pcic controller
and/or a 3C589?

I'd like to get this working before 1.3 is cut, so any assistance
would be appreciated.

--sjg