Subject: Re: navigator-v403b8-export.x86-bsdi-bsd2 SIGSEGV on applet
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/24/1997 00:41:15
>I am actually running precisely the binary you are having trouble with
>(so did I in the beginning, for those who remember my silly
>ktraces). The applet crashing business was solved by setting the

>CLASSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar

Hmm, yes I tried that - couldn't even get my home page.
Well I thought I had... I may have had one without the other.
I just set
export MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape
export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar

and fired up the bsdi 4.03 again, I got my home page ok!
I went to the page with the applet - no crash.  No applet either...
Strangely, I told it to show me the java console and I saw a message
about java starting - but nothing happened.

I just re-started netscape and the above is repeatable. Weird.

>I take it you have

>options         COMPAT_NOMID    # compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD 0.8,
>options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD

Yes.  Actuall I have

root:189# grep COMPAT ZEN
options         COMPAT_NOMID    # compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD 0.8,
options         COMPAT_09       # NetBSD 0.9,
options         COMPAT_10       # NetBSD 1.0,
options         COMPAT_11       # NetBSD 1.1,
options         COMPAT_12       # NetBSD 1.2,
options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD
options         TCP_COMPAT_42   # TCP bug compatibility with 4.2BSD
options         COMPAT_SVR4     # binary compatibility with SVR4
options         COMPAT_IBCS2    # binary compatibility with SCO and ISC
options         COMPAT_LINUX    # binary compatibility with Linux
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD  # binary compatibility with FreeBSD

perhaps the combination is a problem.

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */