Subject: Re: DUMMY_NOPS
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/1997 18:52:37

> David Maxwell writes:
> > Perhaps it's time to split out a GENERIC/INSTALL Kernel which would be much
> > separate BASIC/INSTALL kernel to distribute with a set of options which
> > don't cause problems for older systems. (mcd and wd come to mind?)

> Doing the R.E. on all this stuff is so hard already that I don't even
> want to contemplate this.

> Perry

Sorry Perry, I'm not sure what you meant by 'the R.E.' except that it probably
had nothing to do with regex :-)

I didn't mean to suggest a lot of extra work, simply that the config file
that we distribute as 'GENERIC' need not match the kernel distributed for
installs. As it is now we're trying to save some people having to _ever_ build
a kernel of their own by providing one with many features already in. We could
have one sufficient just for the base install (which would leave more room
on an install disk anyway - for nicer install utilities etc... and supply a
GENERIC config (or kernel binary) for those who want the additional
functionality with rolling their own.

								David