Subject: Re: DUMMY_NOPS
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/1997 23:00:01
> > Hopefully, no motherboards that require these NOPS have been made for
> > years.  Certainly, all the motherboards I have owned over the last
> > five years have worked with DUMMY_NOPS.

> Perhaps it's time to update this. Rename it to
> #options	ADD_NOPS	# For slow (<1993) motherboards
> default it to commented out and invert the logic where used in the source?

Changing the sense is probably reasonable, but defaulting it to commented
out means that GENERIC/INSTALL kernels won't work on those motherboards.
It's a lot more user-friendly to put out a kernel that runs but can be
sped up with a recompile than it is to put out a kernel which doesn't run
at all but which might run if you *could* run it to do a recompile.

I also wouldn't trust motherboard manufacturers not to start requiring those
NOPs again if Windows 95 and NT still have them (or equivalent timing slop).

(Heck, 5 years old isn't THAT old.  The VAX NetBSD crowd would probably KILL
for a CPU that young. ;-) )