Subject: Trouble with ep0 on old compaq
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1997 15:25:27
I have been trying to get an old Compaq prosignia (486/33, EISA-based)
to work, using an add-on ISA IDE controller and a 3COM 3C509 based
ethernet NIC (the Etherlink III).

I have tried multiple NICs (TPO and TP), and boot floppies from 1.2.1,
the most recent snapshot, and -current.  I have also tried multiple
slots, and with and without the IDE controller present.  In each case, I
get the same symptoms.

The card probes and configures correctly as ep0 on startup, and
_usually_ ifconfigs with no problem, though about 20% of the time it
reports `Stray interrupt 7', and then proceeds.  When I try to ping
through the card, however, It sends the first packet, then reports:

	ping: failed to clear cached route: network is unreachable

and exits.  When trying to ping my own address, I get one packet back
before exiting with the same error.

In all cases, I have link lights on both the card and the hub.

Has anyone else seen this?

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com