Subject: Re: serial-console boot blocks?
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1997 13:55:47
Verily did Matthias Drochner write:

>> I was told to `press a key' through the serial console, but I receive _no_
>> visual queue to do so, and guesstimating when the boot blocks are in
>> control is impossible since the PC is in another room 200' away.

> The argument to "initio()" at the beginning of main()
> (biosboot/main.c) must be changed to "CONSDEV_AUTO"
> to make the autoselection work.
> Sorry, but needs are very different, and it is dangerous to put
> it there per default - eg if I have a serial mouse at the first
> serial port, it will become console...

Ok.  I would rather hardcode "yes, I have a serial port, it is always
console".

Is that the default behavior, or did I miss something?  (It didn't work with
the diffs that I posted in the previous message.)

>> Is there documentation anywhere that describe the above defines (or how they
>> work)?

> I've committed a manpage "boot_console(8)" an our ago.

Way cool.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@warthog.com
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.