Subject: Re: serial-console boot blocks?
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1997 20:42:28
Excerpts from netbsd: 7-Oct-97 serial-console boot blocks? Rob
Windsor@warthog.com (1248)

> I was told to `press a key' through the serial console, but I receive _no_
> visual queue to do so, and guesstimating when the boot blocks are in control
> is impossible since the PC is in another room 200' away.

The argument to "initio()" at the beginning of main()
(biosboot/main.c) must be changed to "CONSDEV_AUTO"
to make the autoselection work.
Sorry, but needs are very different, and it is dangerous to put
it there per default - eg if I have a serial mouse at the first
serial port, it will become console...

> Is there documentation anywhere that describe the above defines (or how they
> work)?

I've committed a manpage "boot_console(8)" an our ago.

best regards
Matthias