Subject: ppp hangs
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/1997 21:16:53
I've got a low-end 386 that I'm trying to use a ppp gateway to my home
LAN.  I'm currently just running tests; this means dialing up to the
isp and running ping, with a process logging the interesting numbers
from "netstat -ni -I ppp0" output periodically.

The problem is, after several days' uptime, the machine hangs.
CTL-ALT-ESC breaks to ddb; a trace done just now shows

_Debugger
_sget
_pcintr
_Xrecurse1
--- interrupt ---
_pmap_changebit
_vm_pageout_page
_vm_pageout_scan
_vm_pageout
_main

Doing "call boot(0x100)" at the db> prompt prints "syncing disks... "
and hangs.  At this point CTL-ALT-ESC no longer works; only the front
panel reset button gets its attention.  As a result, I have no kernel
coredump.

The kernel is built from fairly old code, old enough that it identifies
itself as 1.2.1 rather than 1.2X for some X.  Is this a "try -current"
thing, or is there something more serious going on here?  I recall some
people talking about ppp hangs, but the stack trace gives me no reason
to think ppp is actually involved in my hang.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca