Subject: Re: ppp/modem problems
To: Al Qahir <bozo@wcrb.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/1997 12:23:42
Rob Landry wrote:

> >  I'm back on this task now!!!  I have duplicated your tty entries and gettytab
> > entries but still cannot get a login prompt.  The modem answers, but that is
> > it!!  Any ideas?  Below are my relevant tty and gettytab entries.  My modem is
> > a US Robotics V.Everything with V.34...  #%$@&*

You need something like: AT&F&C1&D2&H1&B1&W
Sent out while talking to the modem at 57600. (or whatever you want to end
up with)  The &H1 is hardware flowcontrol, and the &B1 tells the modem to
lock the DTE rate, so your BSD system doesn't have to care about different
rates.  If this will be a dialin only modem, disable the AT command set
via the *one* switch on the bottom.  The other options will automatically
be disabled because the command set is.
Add this to /etc/ttys:
tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"	vt100 on rtscts

Replace 'tty00' with the right serial port.  You also can leave the terminal
at "unknown" instead of vt100, but that won't matter to ppp.

Kill -HUP 1 and you should be set.  I have two 28.8k sportsters running
on NetBSD 1.2ALPHA this way.  Works *very* well.  Uptime to 492 days, and
only *1* silo overflow *per* port for that entire time.  And it used to
get a lot of use with both connections active at once.

If this is a dialout also modem, you need to leave the AT command set
enabled, but turn on the "error messages in originate only" switch, so
incoming calls won't yack at getty.

> You should get gibberish when you first connect, because the machine you
> are connecting to will try to talk at 57600 baud.  If you give it a series
> of carriage returns, it should go to 38400, then 19200, then 9600.  If you
> are using a 14.4 kbaud modem, as I am, it should give you a login prompt
> at 9600 baud.

With a modem that can lock it's DTE rate, you should *never* need to mess
with this.

> I can't find a way to get it to talk at 14400; it will do 9600, and when I
> invoke pppd it stays at 9600 (presumably if I had 28.8 modems it would do
> 19200). This is inconvenient, but it works; I'd sure love to get it to use
> the full speed of the modem, though.

Lock your DTE rate to 19200, and call it a day.  If your modem can't lock
the DTE, get a *real* modem.. <grin>

> I've never been able to do an ftp through this connection at greater than
> about 900 bytes/sec.

Between a V.34+ (basically a v.everything) and a Sportster 28.8k, I've
gotten upwards of 3000 bytes/sec.  Normally I only get a 26400 connection
also.  A decent 14.4k modem with compression should be able to get about
1400-1500 bytes/sec.  With DOS Telix I would get 1600-1700, but that was
with low overhead (zmodem).

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.