Subject: Re: quantum disks
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/26/1997 19:31:01
I am happy with IBM and HP drives.  Although I also have some Seagate
Hawks (2g) drives up and running for 3+ years w/o any problems. The thing
with Seagate is you have to keep them really really cool.

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Ty Sarna wrote:

> In article <199709261958.PAA07406@jfwhome.funhouse.com> you write:
> > For just about any manufacturer, you can find someone with a horror story.
> > I've had a bad run of Maxtors (plus bad luck with one particular Maxtor drive
> > at a former employer), and like Quantum; someone I know had a DOA Quantum
> > drive which Quantum replace with subsequent DOA drives twice.  I've heard lots
> > of complaints about Seagate and Western Digital, and nothing but praise for
> > Fujitsu and IBM (though I don't doubt there is someone else with the exact
> > opposite story).
>
> I'll second that on Fujitsu.  We have 3 of them, all different models
> bought at differnet times, and we've been very happy with them.  The
> oldest is a big (full height 5.25") 1G drive that we've had for ~6 years
> now, running 24/7 all that time (minus maintnance, extended power
> outages, etc, of course...).  This is in a somewhat dusty and
> not-well-air-conditioned building and most of that time it's been in
> mediocre enclosures, too.
>
> Fujitsu alsways tops my list of names to look for when buying a new hard
> drive. (The bottom, of course, is Seagate. :->)
>
> Others I've spoken to were all equally happy. Too bad not many places
> carry them. Megahaus (www.megahaus.com) does, but I've not bought one
> through them. I think we got all three through APS, but APS doesn't seem
> to carry Fujitsu anymore, or at least they don't push them.

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087