Subject: Re: quantum disks
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/26/1997 12:22:42
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:

> Now I have a 2.5 GB
> Atlas (about 6 months old) which started giving me medium errors today:

Yes, it's dying. Get it RMA'd. And also, check your cooling; I
killed a quantum Atlas this way due to not keeping it cool enough.
(Pretty much any 7200 RPM drive can have this problem.)

> Does anyone have ANY Quantum disk (over 1 GB) that WORKS?

Yes. I've got an Empire that somtimes takes its time about spinning
up, but otherwise works ok, and I've got three Atlases that have
been in my news server for a couple of years now, and work ok.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates