Subject: Weird boot failures...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/1997 21:53:41
I've been having some trouble getting NetBSD-current/i386 to boot.
The symptom is that the boot loader loads the image into memory and
prints out all the size information, and then the system hangs for a
while, after which the boot loader comes back and tries again.   I've
seen similar behaviour with older kernels, but never quite this
consistent - previously, the kernel would eventually boot, whereas now
it never succeeds in booting.

The two complications to this setup are that I've built the boot
blocks and the kernel to use COM0 as the console, and the system has
256 megabytes of memory, and the kernel has been sized accordingly
(BIOSEXTMEM=261120).

The kernel is configured with DDB, but I have seen similar behaviour
on non-DDB kernels.

Has anybody seen this behaviour, and if so, do you have any theories?

			       _MelloN_