Subject: Re: X problems
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/1997 19:42:42
> Well, before I re-linked 'xv' with gnumalloc, it *definitely* was leaky.
> It would grow larger as you used it.  Eventually it would hit the limit,
> or the machine would run out of swap.  So, I wouldn't say he is the
> only one to see problems with the normal malloc.  Sure, it is probably
> the fault of 'xv' for leaking, but when the problem disappears when
> linked with gnumalloc, you have to wonder.  I haven't tested it with
> normal malloc for well over a year though.  I can if anyone thinks it
> would help.

Try to link it with some debugging malloc library (e.g.
ftp://ftp.cs.unc.edu/pub/users/faith/dmalloc-mirror/dmalloc-3.2.1.tar.gz ).
Xv and netscape when displaying large images are the only leaky programs
in my system (I have uptimes 2-3 months, so I think I would notice
such behaviour with other programs).

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,