Subject: Re: X problems
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/1997 01:39:44
> >Nope, not yet (unless that's what GIMP normally does).  But what makes the
> >NetBSD malloc function like this?  Why do we have such a malloc at all if
> >it slowly eats up all memory..? (Not a flame bait, just a clueless person
> >asking :)
>
> With all due respect ... it _does_ seem to be only you.  Is it possible
> that the particular X server for your particular video card has a memory
> leak?
>
> --Ken

Well, before I re-linked 'xv' with gnumalloc, it *definitely* was leaky.
It would grow larger as you used it.  Eventually it would hit the limit,
or the machine would run out of swap.  So, I wouldn't say he is the
only one to see problems with the normal malloc.  Sure, it is probably
the fault of 'xv' for leaking, but when the problem disappears when
linked with gnumalloc, you have to wonder.  I haven't tested it with
normal malloc for well over a year though.  I can if anyone thinks it
would help.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.