Subject: Re: X problems
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/1997 08:25:33
On Sun, Sep 14, 1997 at 01:20:43PM -0700, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	I had a similar memory problem with Netscape on NetBSD/sparc -
> 	running 'limit datasize XX' before xdm in rc.local was a passable
> 	workaround IIRC.

I have raised the limit to 48 MB for the X server.. but I still seem to
hit it every two weeks or so. :-I

> > By the way, I have the same "process size growing endlessly" problem with
> > GIMP.  Is there something wrong with our malloc() or WHY is this happening?
> > GIMP hits the process data size limit quite soon, no matter how high I set
> > it.
> >
> 	Have you tried linking with -lgnumalloc ?

Nope, not yet (unless that's what GIMP normally does).  But what makes the
NetBSD malloc function like this?  Why do we have such a malloc at all if
it slowly eats up all memory..? (Not a flame bait, just a clueless person
asking :)

I wonder if XFree uses gnumalloc by default when the internal malloc has been
disabled?

  -jm