Subject: Re: X problems
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/1997 22:39:59
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:

> > > By the way, I have the same "process size growing endlessly" problem with
> > > GIMP.  Is there something wrong with our malloc() or WHY is this happening?
> > > GIMP hits the process data size limit quite soon, no matter how high I set
> > > it.
> > >
> > 	Have you tried linking with -lgnumalloc ?
>
> Nope, not yet (unless that's what GIMP normally does).  But what makes the
> NetBSD malloc function like this?  Why do we have such a malloc at all if
> it slowly eats up all memory..? (Not a flame bait, just a clueless person
> asking :)

	I believe the standard malloc shipped with NetBSD suffers from
	fragmentation. FreeBSD has a better malloc under a BSD copyright,
	it would certainly be nice to see the current NetBSD one replaced
	by this - it would also mean we would not longer need gnumalloc...

> I wonder if XFree uses gnumalloc by default when the internal malloc has been
> disabled?

	Uhh pass - does it have -lgnumalloc on the link line?