Subject: Re: P200 crashing while probing for "de" ethernet card
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1997 09:15:35
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

> ...wow, can't get any more vague than that!  :-)

Yea, and i can't get more informaiton to be less vague!  I cannot pop into
the debugger even...

> How does it crash, exactly?

It reboots faster than I can see the messages.

>  > When 1.2.1 boots, it complains that the ethernet address cannot be
>  > read (returns a long string of `f's) but does manage to get past.
>
> Not surprising, if it's a newer card...

Yea, I assumed as much.

>  > Does the PCI system assume the BIOS has nailed the PCI cards down at
>  > bootup?
>
> Yes, but I suspect that this is not the problem.

Hmm.  All I know is that with the card in the machine fails to boot, with it
out it starts up just fine.  The card works well (in fact, it was pulled
from) in other systems.

--Michael