Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Eric Delcamp <edelcamp@easynet.fr>
From: Timo K Suoranta <tksuoran@cc.helsinki.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/04/1997 19:15:28
> HD/FD/com/par). The bios limit size of HD to 540 Mb. Is it also a limit
> under NetBSD ?

If you have msdos partition in the start of the HDD, you can have dosboot
and NetBSD kernel on it. Then there is no restrictions on NetBSD
partitions.. I think. Is this correct?

There could be more documentation on the case you share HDD with another
OS'es. I installed my system from MSDOS partition. For some reason,
disklabel knows about MSDOS partitions before installation procedure, but
not after it. I had to add msdos partitions back so I could read the
distribution files.

Having that in mind, it would be nice to have at least Vi on the
installation filesystem. I don't know if this is fixed by now,
but I had to use OpenBSD installation disk which had Vi. I also noticed
that OpenBSD disklabels support 16 partitions, and they are compatible
with NetBSD - if one uses 8 or less. Could we get 16 partitions to NetBSD
as well?

I suppose dosboot could be used to boot installation kernel/filesystem for
floppyless installation?

Timo Suoranta =B7=B7 tksuoran@cc.helsinki.fi =B7=B7 http://www.helsinki.fi/=
~tksuoran/