Subject: RE: panic: too much memory(!)
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/1997 22:09:41
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:

> using 1388 buffers containing 26927104 bytes of memory
>
> I don't think NBUF or BUFPAGES have been tweaked, so this is what
> NetBSD defaults to in this configuration.  Is the default
> "reasonable", or does it need to be tweaked?

There's code in there to keep the number of buffers from going over
1388, though this doesn't affect the amount of memory allocated.

I'd tweak BUFPAGES down to 12 MB or so, to waste less memory. If
you really want more buffers, you can drag BUFSIZE down to 16K, or
even 8K, and make much better use of the address space (but be
unable to mount things like large MS-DOS file systems).

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'