Subject: Re: Accessing my modem at com2
To: Jens A Nilsson <jnilsson@ludd.luth.se>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/1997 14:57:23
> On Thu, Aug 28, 1997 at 12:54:57PM -0400, ALBURQUERQUE JOSE A wrote:
> > Hi.  I have a SupraExpress 336i PnP Voice modem attached to my com2 port
> > which I'm trying to access under NetBSD1.2.  I've recently installed
> > XFree86 and it has no problems accessing the mouse (which is connected to
> > com0) using /dev/tty00.  I thought that by using /dev/tty02 I could access
> > my modem, but I can't even get a simple chat script to dial out for pppd
> > using /dev/tty02.

DOS numbers the "COM" ports from 1, so if you mean that you have your mouse on
COM1 and the modem on COM2, then the tty number is 01, not 02 (as someone else
pointed out).  If you really mean that your mouse is on COM1 and your modem is
on COM3 (as I'd suspect), then tty02 is correct; first make sure /dev/tty02
is actually a tty file with minor number 2 (compare it to tty00 using ls -l).
If that's correct, then a possibility is that the modem insists on being
configured for the same IRQ as COM1 or COM2 (i.e. some PnP modems only have
two IRQs); the resulting IRQ sharing will result in it just not working on
NetBSD (I had a modem like that on an NT machine a while back, and had really
bizarre problems trying to use a serial mouse and the modem at the same time
until I figured this out).