Subject: Re: panic: too much memory(!)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/19/1997 17:55:23
gunnar@bitcon.no (Gunnar Helliesen) writes:
>Anyone know what causes this:

>panic: cluster_rbuild: too much memory
>Stopped at     _Debugger+0x4:  leave
>db>

After looking at the code a bit I'd say this is a bug in the vfs_cluster
code.  At least the condition for the panic doesn't look right.

>System info:

>NetBSD 1.2E (ATLAS) #0: Sun Jun 15 11:02:36 MET DST 1997
>    root@atlas.bitcon.no:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ATLAS
>cpu0: family 6 model 1 step 7
>cpu0: Intel Pentium Pro (686-class)
>real mem  = 133824512
>avail mem = 95916032
>using 1388 buffers containing 33980416 bytes of memory

That is more memory and less buffers than the kernel would have allocated
by default.  Have you used options BUFPAGES and NBUF in the config file?
If so, what are the values.

You should probably use at least 4200 buffers with that large a buffer
cache.  Perhaps this helps.

It's probably worth submitting a PR.  Please include the values for
NBUF and BUFPAGES, if you have used them in the kernel config file.
A stack trace might be a good idea too.

--
Christoph Badura

Now available in print: Lion's Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code
			http://www.peer-to-peer.com/