Subject: Re: Issues arising from installing NetBSD on my new machine.
To: None <cousinsk@sg.adisys.com.au>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/1997 11:06:28
>Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:45:56 +1000 (EST)
>From: Kevin Cousins =ENG= <cousinsk@sg.adisys.com.au>

>Apart from some niggling minor configuration issues that I can sort
>out at my leisure, here are a few things that raise a bit more
>concern and a question or two:
>
> - I asked for a Cyrix P200+, a Pentium-class CPU, no?  The machine's
>   AWARD BIOS correctly reports that the CPU is the P200+, but the
>   NetBSD-1.2 kernels I've tried (both INSTADP and anything that I've
>   built since) show it as a "486DX".  I'm not bothered that NetBSD
>   didn't pick the Cyrix-ocity, rather that it found a 486DX instead,
>   and nothing equivalent to a Pentium!

First, you really should try upgrading to 1.2.1 instead of 1.2.  1.2.1
fixed some nasty bugs in 1.2.

I can't keep all of the Cyrix CPUs straight; your may look more like a
486 than a Pentium, for all I know.  The CPU identification code has
been updated since 1.2.1, you may wish to back-port the -current i386
CPU identification code.

> - I asked for a NIC.  I was supplied with a PCI card that is claimed to
>   be a NE2000 workalike.  That /seemed/ to be OK, as I've worked with
>   NetBSD/i386 on NE2000 hardware before.

I don't think a driver exists for this (yet).

>   Where should I look next?
>
> - This next (and last) issue is really an XFree86-3.2 question.  I
>   got a three-button mouse.  XF86Setup runs quite happily, and quite
>   happily sees action on the outside two buttons, but action on the
>   middle button is AKAIK not seen, and I have to emulate it.  Is
>   there an easy fix?

Find 'Emulate3Buttons' (not sure of spelling & capitalization) in your
XF86Config file, and get rid of it.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel