Subject: Re: Issues arising from installing NetBSD on my new machine.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/1997 10:32:32
>  - I asked for a NIC.  I was supplied with a PCI card that is claimed
>    to be a NE2000 workalike.  That /seemed/ to be OK, as I've worked
>    with NetBSD/i386 on NE2000 hardware before.

The NE2000 is an ISA thing.  What you have is almost certainly a
Realtek 8029.

There exist patches to split the ed driver into a chip-protocol piece
which speaks to NE2000s and NE2000-alikes (like the Realtek 8029) and a
bus-interface piece, versions of which exist for ISA and PCI.  I
believe the person responsible reads port-i386; I'll let him speak up
if he chooses.  I know someone running with a Realtek 8029 network
card; if you can't get hold of any info elsewhere write me and I will
see if that person minds being contacted about it.

> GNU `Spook Baffler' keywords appear below:
> arrangements radar CIA Mossad jihad Legion of Doom plutonium Semtex
> [Hello to all my fans in domestic surveillance] Nazi security Rule
> Psix BATF smuggle World Trade Center

I rather doubt the spooks' trawler software - if it exists - is likely
to be fooled by a message containing no hits in most of it and a big
burst of nothing but hits at the end. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca