Subject: Issues arising from installing NetBSD on my new machine.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Cousins =ENG= <cousinsk@sg.adisys.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/1997 14:45:56
Late Friday, I took delivery of my new machine.  Saturday mid-morning,
I left my four month old daughter asleep started to fiddle with it for
the first time---how's /that/ for restraint!  (Well?  /I/ was impressed!)

First things first, I blew away the obligatory factory-installed
Windows 95, and started to put NetBSD-1.2 on it (1.2 because that's
all I have at the moment).

Apart from some niggling minor configuration issues that I can sort
out at my leisure, here are a few things that raise a bit more
concern and a question or two:

 - I asked for a Cyrix P200+, a Pentium-class CPU, no?  The machine's
   AWARD BIOS correctly reports that the CPU is the P200+, but the
   NetBSD-1.2 kernels I've tried (both INSTADP and anything that I've
   built since) show it as a "486DX".  I'm not bothered that NetBSD
   didn't pick the Cyrix-ocity, rather that it found a 486DX instead,
   and nothing equivalent to a Pentium!  FWIW, when the distributor
   demonstrated the machine to me with a DOS-boot floppy and Norton's
   SI, etc., his tools also probed the CPU as a (/very/ fast) 486DX,
   but these seemed to be old tools, and I'd expect such utilities to
   be rather vague about modern processors!  Should I be concerned, or
   is the CPU probing code for NetBSD a little behind the times?  If
   the latter is the case, I'd be more than happy to cut my kernel-
   hacking teeth on something like this!

 - I asked for a NIC.  I was supplied with a PCI card that is claimed to
   be a NE2000 workalike.  That /seemed/ to be OK, as I've worked with
   NetBSD/i386 on NE2000 hardware before.

   When I boot a kernel, any kernel, no appropriate network device is
   probed, though there is mention of an unconfigured PCI network
   card.  I investigated the kernel config file: lots of ISA bus
   devices are listed for network cards, ans some PCI bus devices are
   also listed, but, the entry for NE2000 shown seems to be associated
   with the ISA bus (devices ed*).  I took the simple minded approach
   and tried to configure a kernel which looks for ed* devices on the
   PCI bus, only to have config(8) complain that 'ed' devices can't
   exist on the PCI bus.

   Where should I look next?

 - This next (and last) issue is really an XFree86-3.2 question.  I
   got a three-button mouse.  XF86Setup runs quite happily, and quite
   happily sees action on the outside two buttons, but action on the
   middle button is AKAIK not seen, and I have to emulate it.  Is
   there an easy fix?

--

Kevin.
cousinsk@sg.adisys.com.au

GNU `Spook Baffler' keywords appear below:
arrangements radar CIA Mossad jihad Legion of Doom plutonium Semtex
[Hello to all my fans in domestic surveillance] Nazi security Rule
Psix BATF smuggle World Trade Center