Subject: flakey memory?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/17/1997 13:56:14
My 4yr old 486 which is currently acting as my gateway box, is showing
rather eratic behaviour.  The new pentium box is running the same
verion of 1.2G so I'm pretty sure the problem is the i486 not NetBSD.

[This is the same machine that panics pretty frequently with
"panic: vm_object_paging_begin"]

Other symptoms are regular core dumps by sh and others during cron
jobs.

The latest is a couple of "syntax" errors from some shell scripts
which get run every hour on dozen's of boxes apart from the i486
without any problems.  So sh was likely getting a corrupted read.

All sounds pretty bad.  I'm guessing that the problem is in the
memory.   Is simply reseating it likely to help?  I'm not sure the
machine is worth buying new memory for...

Other ideas?

--sjg