Subject: Re: panic while installing: page fault in supervisor mode
To: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/1997 18:02:51
>When interpreting the above warning it looks to me like turning on the optimizer
>masks the fact that some variables are not referenced. I have seen the
>inverse (ie. variables becoming unused when the code got optimized) but this
>looks suspicious to me.

No, this is normal.  GCC's unused/uninitialized warnings depend on
dataflow information computed by the optimization pass.

Until last month sometime, there *was* one erroneous warning that
showed up when compiling elink3.o with -O instead of -O2. (the
variable was actually initialized, but GCC couldn't prove it.)

I've since commited a workaround for that.

I've had great success with CGD's mbuf.h patch.  Until the compiler
bug is found and fixed, why don't we commmit that and turn on
_LOSING_COMPILER in the i386 types.h?  I mean, we _know_ the i386
kernel has bugs without that..

--Jonathan