Subject: Re: multiprocessor support
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Dorman <eld@jewel.ucsd.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/1997 12:13:16
> From seebs@solon.com Fri Aug 15 21:09:41 1997
> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 23:12:01 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>

> FreeBSD supports multiprocessors, and BSD/OS is expected to in
> the next release.

I can attest to the fact that FreeBSD-SMP works :) .. the claims
of 90% speed improvements aren't exaggerated(?).  I've been running
2xPPRO-166s (overclocked -150s) on a Tyan S1668 for some months
now with nary a glitch.  Pretty snazzy to run XServer/XIE on
one CPU and the client on the other.  It certainly blows away the
Sun Sparc5's at work and looks like it'll give the Ultra/1 a good
fight when the SMP can be taken advantage of.

It'll be great when NetBSD incorporates SMP;  I've run it since
-0.9 on most of my hardware.  Great to have all my boxes run the same
base code again.

Regards,

Eric Dorman
University of California at San Diego